- Education Background
B.S. Ch.E. National Cheng Kung University 1978
M.S. Ch.E. National Cheng Kung University 1980
Ph.D. Ch.E. University of Rochester 1986
- Research Topic
Electrochromic Materials and Devices
Electrochromic devices (ECDs) offer continuous and reversible visible change in optical absorption in response to the applied voltage. We are working on the synthesis and design of various electrochromic materials and devices. We aim to utilize materials science, electrochemistry, and nano thin-film technology in order to improve the performance and long-term stability of ECDs.
Dye-Sensitized Solar Cell (DSSC)
A dye-sensitized solar cell (DSSC) consists of a photoanode adsorbed with a photosensitizing dye, a redox electrolyte, and a counter electrode. We are working on the design of novel electrode materials and solid-state electrolyte to improve the cell efficiency and stability of DSSCs.
Electrochemical Sensing and Nanotechnology
We design the modified electrodes of various nanostructural materials, such as metal oxides and conducting polymers, and apply them for electrochemical sensors. The sensing performance can be improved via the high surface area feature and unique electron transport properties of nanomaterials.
- Recent Research Topic
1.On the High Conversion Efficiency of Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells Containing Gel Electrolytes (3/3) 研發含膠態電解質之高效率染料敏化太陽能電池 (3/3) Kuo-Chuan Ho, sponsored by National Science Council, NSC98-2120-M-002-003, NT$ 1,519,700, 8/1/2009-7/31/2010
2.A Study of Glucose Sensing Chips in Microfluidic Channels using Enzyme-Immobilization 利用酵素固定法研究微流道葡萄糖感測晶片 Kuo-Chuan Ho, sponsored by National Science Council, NSC98-2221-E-002-102, NT$ 1,513,000, 8/1/2009-7/31/2010
3.Advanced Processes for Materials in High Efficient Electrochemical Devices 高功能電化學元件材料之先進製程 Kuo-Chuan Ho, sponsored by National Taiwan University, 98R0066-09, NT$ 1,400,000, 8/1/2009-7/31/2010
- Honorary Scientific Committee, The International Conference on Advanced Batteries and Accumulators, Brno, Czech Republic (2001-present).
- International Advisory Editorial Board, Sensors (2002-present).
- Editorial Board, Analytical & Bioanalytical Electrochemistry (2008-present).
- Editorial Board, Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications (2009-present).
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Photoenergy (2009-present).
- Outstanding Research Award, The Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) of Taiwan (2017).
- The Excellent Poster Award (to Miss Miao-Syuan Miao, 范妙璇同學), in recognition of an excellent poster presented at the Global Photovoltaic Conference (GPVC) & The 8th Aseanian Conference on Dye-Sensitized & Organic Solar Cells (DSC-OPV8), Busan, Korea, November 23-26 (2013).
- The Young Scientist Award (to Mr. Chung-Wei Kung, 龔仲偉同學), in recognition of an outstanding paper contributed to Symposium L “Chromogenic Materials and Devices” at the E-MRS 2014 Spring Meeting, Lille, France, May 26-30 (2014).
- The Young Scientist Award (to Mr. Jia-De Pong, 彭嘉德同學), in recognition of an outstanding paper contributed to Symposium Y “Advanced Materials and Characterization Techniques for Solar Cells II” at the E-MRS 2014 Spring Meeting, Lille, France, May 26-30 (2014).
- 財團法人徐有庠先生紀念基金會「第12屆有科技庠講座」(綠色科技類) (2014).
- 指導林燁雍同學榮獲科林博士論文優等獎 (2014)
- 指導林宜鋒同學榮獲科林碩士論文頭等獎 (2016)
- 指導陳貝瑜、李君婷、李權倍、范妙璇、高聖淵、黃子晏、龔仲偉與張廷祥同學論文榮登著名期刊封面與內頁封面(2015, 2017)
- The Representative Publication Recent 5-years Publication
- S. Ramaraj, M. Sakthivel, S. M. Chen, B. S. Lou and K. C. Ho, “Defect and Additional Active Sites on the Basal Plane of Manganese-Doped Molybdenum Diselenide for Effective Enzyme Immobilization: In Vitro and in Vivo Real-Time Analyses of Hydrogen Peroxide Sensing”, Acs Applied Materials & Interfaces, 11(8), 7862-7871, 2019(Feb), (SCI,EI)
- 1K. C. Ho and L. Y. Lin, “A review of electrode materials based on core-shell nanostructures for electrochemical supercapacitors”, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 7(8), 3516-3530, 2019(Feb), (SCI,EI)
- K. R. J. Thomas, A. Venkateswararao, R. Balasaravanan, C. T. Li and K. C. Ho, “Triazine-branched mono- and dianchoring organic dyes: Effect of acceptor arms on optical and photovoltaic properties”, Dyes and Pigments, 165, 182-192, 2019(Jun), (SCI,EI)
- H. F. Yu, K. I. Chen, M. H. Yeh and K. C. Ho, “Effect of trifluoromethyl substituents in benzyl-based viologen on the electrochromic performance: Optical contrast and stability”, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 200, 110020, 2019(Sep), (SCI,EI)
- Y. C. Wang, H. C. Lu, L. Y. Hsiao, Y. A. Lu and K. C. Ho, “A complementary electrochromic device composed of nanoparticulated ruthenium purple and Fe(II)-based metallo-supramolecular polymer”, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 200, 109929, 2019(Sep), (SCI,EI)
- M. Sakthivel, S. Ramaraj, S. M. Chen and K. C. Ho, “Bimetallic vanadium cobalt diselenide nanosheets with additional active sites for excellent asymmetric pseudocapacitive performance: comparing the electrochemical performances with M-CoSe2 (M = Zn, Mn, and Cu)”, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 7(20), 12565-12581, 2019(May), (SCI,EI)
- M. Sakthivel, S. Ramaraj, S. M. Chen, T. W. Chen and K. C. Ho, “Transition-Metal-Doped Molybdenum Diselenides with Defects and Abundant Active Sites for Efficient Performances of Enzymatic Biofuel Cell and Supercapacitor Applications”, Acs Applied Materials & Interfaces, 11(20), 18483-18493, 2019(May), (SCI,EI)
- S. Ramaraj, M. Sakthivel, S. M. Chen and K. C. Ho, “Active-Site-Rich 1T-Phase CoMoSe2 Integrated Graphene Oxide Nanocomposite as an Efficient Electrocatalyst for Electrochemical Sensor and Energy Storage Applications”, Analytical Chemistry, 91(13), 8358-8365, 2019(Jul), (SCI,EI)
- S. Ramaraj, M. Sakthivel, S. M. Chen, M. S. Elshikh, T. W. Chen, M. C. Yu and K. C. Ho, “Electrochemical sensing of anti-inflammatory agent in paramedical sample based on FeMoSe2 modified SPCE: Comparison of various preparation methods and morphological effects”, Analytica Chimica Acta, 1083, 88-100, 2019(Nov), (SCI,EI)
- A. Pathak, T. Tomer, K. R. J. Thomas, M. S. Fan and K. C. Ho, “Fine tuning the absorption and photovoltaic properties of benzothiadiazole dyes by donor-acceptor interaction alternation via methyl position”, Electrochimica Acta, 304, 1-10, 2019(May), (SCI,EI)
- K. Madasamy, D. Velayutham, V. Suryanarayanan, M. Kathiresan and K. C. Ho, “Viologen-based electrochromic materials and devices”, Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 7(16), 4622-4637, 2019(Apr), (SCI,EI)
- S. M. Liu, C. L. Lin, T. H. Chang, H. C. Lu, S. H. Hsu and K. C. Ho, “Influence of ferrocyanide on the long-term stability of poly(butyl viologen) thin film based electrochromic devices”, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 200, 110012, 2019(Sep), (SCI,EI)
- C. L. Lin, C. Y. Chen, H. F. Yu and K. C. Ho, “Comparisons of the electrochromic properties of Poly(hydroxymethyl 3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) and Poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) thin films and the photoelectrochromic devices using these thin films”, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 202, 110132, 2019(Nov), (SCI,EI)
- F. Y. Kuo, F. S. Lin, M. H. Yeh, M. S. Fan, L. Y. Hsiao, J. J. Lin, R. J. Jeng and K. C. Ho, “Synthesis of Surfactant-Free and Morphology-Controllable Vanadium Diselenide for Efficient Counter Electrodes in Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells”, Acs Applied Materials & Interfaces, 11(28), 25090-25099, 2019(Jul), (SCI,EI), (Featured on supplementary of journal cover)
- S. Kumar, K. R. J. Thomas, C. T. Li, M. S. Fan and K. C. Ho, “Effect of electron rich pi-linkers on the functional properties of dyes featuring dithieno[3,2-b:2 ‘,3 ‘-d]pyrrole donor”, Dyes and Pigments, 160, 614-623, 2019(Jan), (SCI,EI)
- Y. J. Huang, Y. J. Lin, H. J. Chien, Y. F. Lin and K. C. Ho, “A Pt-free pristine monolithic carbon aerogel counter electrode for dye-sensitized solar cells: up to 20% under dim light illumination”, Nanoscale, 11(26), 12507-12516, 2019(Jul), (SCI,EI), (Featured on the outside front cover page)
- C. W. Hu, H. C. Lu, S. Y. Kao, K. M. Lee, R. Vittal, H. F. Yu, P. W. Chen, D. J. Jan and K. C. Ho, “A transparent – green – blue electrochromic device based on 2, 2, 6, 6-tetramethyl-1-piperidinyloxy (TEMPO), polyaniline, and HV(BF4)2″, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 200, 109993, 2019(Sep), (SCI,EI)
- L. Y. Hsiao, T. H. Chang, H. C. Lu, Y. C. Wang, Y. A. Lu, K. C. Ho and M. Higuchi, “A panchromatic electrochromic device composed of Ru(II)/Fe(II)-based heterometallo-supramolecular polymer”, Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 7(25), 7554-7562, 2019(Jul), (SCI,EI), (Featured on the inside back cover page)
- C. I. Chen, S. F. Wu, Y. A. Lu, C. C. Lee, K. C. Ho, Z. L. Zhu, W. C. Chen and C. C. Chueh, “Enhanced Near-Infrared Photoresponse of Inverted Perovskite Solar Cells Through Rational Design of Bulk-Heterojunction Electron-Transporting Layers”, Advanced Science, 6(21), 2019(Nov), (SCI,EI)
- Y. J. Huang, H. T. Chen, S. B. Ann, C. T. Li, J. T. Lin, C. P. Lee and K. C. Ho, “Hierarchical Urchin-like CoSe2/CoSeO3 Electro-catalysts for Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells: Up to 19% at Dim Light Illumination”, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 7(45), 26089-26097, 2019(Oct), (SCI,EI), (Featured on the outside front cover page)