- Education Background
B.S. Ch.E. National Cheng Kung University 1978
M.S. Ch.E. National Cheng Kung University 1980
Ph.D. Ch.E. University of Rochester 1986
- Research Topic
Electrochromic Materials and Devices
Electrochromic devices (ECDs) offer continuous and reversible visible change in optical absorption in response to the applied voltage. We are working on the synthesis and design of various electrochromic materials and devices. We aim to utilize materials science, electrochemistry, and nano thin-film technology in order to improve the performance and long-term stability of ECDs.
Dye-Sensitized Solar Cell (DSSC)
A dye-sensitized solar cell (DSSC) consists of a photoanode adsorbed with a photosensitizing dye, a redox electrolyte, and a counter electrode. We are working on the design of novel electrode materials and solid-state electrolyte to improve the cell efficiency and stability of DSSCs.
Electrochemical Sensing and Nanotechnology
We design the modified electrodes of various nanostructural materials, such as metal oxides and conducting polymers, and apply them for electrochemical sensors. The sensing performance can be improved via the high surface area feature and unique electron transport properties of nanomaterials.
- Recent Research Topic
1.On the High Conversion Efficiency of Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells Containing Gel Electrolytes (3/3) 研發含膠態電解質之高效率染料敏化太陽能電池 (3/3) Kuo-Chuan Ho, sponsored by National Science Council, NSC98-2120-M-002-003, NT$ 1,519,700, 8/1/2009-7/31/2010
2.A Study of Glucose Sensing Chips in Microfluidic Channels using Enzyme-Immobilization 利用酵素固定法研究微流道葡萄糖感測晶片 Kuo-Chuan Ho, sponsored by National Science Council, NSC98-2221-E-002-102, NT$ 1,513,000, 8/1/2009-7/31/2010
3.Advanced Processes for Materials in High Efficient Electrochemical Devices 高功能電化學元件材料之先進製程 Kuo-Chuan Ho, sponsored by National Taiwan University, 98R0066-09, NT$ 1,400,000, 8/1/2009-7/31/2010
- Honorary Scientific Committee, The International Conference on Advanced Batteries and Accumulators, Brno, Czech Republic (2001-present).
- International Advisory Editorial Board, Sensors (2002-present).
- Editorial Board, Analytical & Bioanalytical Electrochemistry (2008-present).
- Editorial Board, Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications (2009-present).
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Photoenergy (2009-present).
- Outstanding Research Award, The Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) of Taiwan (2017).
- The Excellent Poster Award (to Miss Miao-Syuan Miao, 范妙璇同學), in recognition of an excellent poster presented at the Global Photovoltaic Conference (GPVC) & The 8th Aseanian Conference on Dye-Sensitized & Organic Solar Cells (DSC-OPV8), Busan, Korea, November 23-26 (2013).
- The Young Scientist Award (to Mr. Chung-Wei Kung, 龔仲偉同學), in recognition of an outstanding paper contributed to Symposium L “Chromogenic Materials and Devices” at the E-MRS 2014 Spring Meeting, Lille, France, May 26-30 (2014).
- The Young Scientist Award (to Mr. Jia-De Pong, 彭嘉德同學), in recognition of an outstanding paper contributed to Symposium Y “Advanced Materials and Characterization Techniques for Solar Cells II” at the E-MRS 2014 Spring Meeting, Lille, France, May 26-30 (2014).
- 財團法人徐有庠先生紀念基金會「第12屆有科技庠講座」(綠色科技類) (2014).
- 指導林燁雍同學榮獲科林博士論文優等獎 (2014); 指導林宜鋒同學榮獲科林碩士論文頭等獎 (2016).
- 指導陳貝瑜、李君婷、李權倍、范妙璇、高聖淵、黃子晏、龔仲偉與張廷祥同學論文榮登著名期刊封面與內頁封面(2015, 2017).
- 指導朱德峻同學榮獲國科會101年度大專生研究計畫研究創作獎(2013); 指導莊蕙閔同學榮獲國科會102年度大專生研究計畫研究創作獎(2014); 指導陳貝瑜同學榮獲103年度科技部大專生研究計畫研究創作獎(2015); 指導陳泰螢同學榮獲105年度科技部大專生研究計畫研究創作獎(2017).
- The Representative Publication Recent 5-years Publication
- Y. A. Leu, M. H. Yeh, L. Y. Lin, T. J. Li, L. Y. Chang, S. Y. Shen, Y. S. Li, G. L. Chen, W. H. Chiang, J. J. Lin, and K. C. Ho, “Thermally Stable Boron-doped Multi-walled Carbon Nanotubes as a Pt-free Counter Electrode for Dye-sensitized Solar Cells,” ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng., 5, 537-546 (2017). (工合著)
- C. T. Li, F. L. Wu, C. J. Liang, K, C. Ho, and J. T. Lin, “Effective Suppression of Interfacial Charge Recombination by a 12-Crown-4 Substituent on a Double-Anchored Organic Sensitizer and Rotating Disk Electrochemical Evidence,” J. Mater. Chem. A, 5, 7586-7594 (2017).
- C. Y. Chen, Z. H. Jian, S. H. Huang, K. M. Lee, M. H. Kao, C. H. Shen, J. M. Shieh, C. L. Wang, C. Wen Chang, B. Z. Lin, C. Y. Lin, T. K. Chang, Y. Chi, C. Y. Chi, W. Ting Wang, Y. Tai, M. D. Lu, Y. L. Tung, P. T. Chou, W. T. Wu, T. J. Chow, P. Chen, X. H. Luo, Y. L. Lee, C. C. Wu, C. M. Chen, C. Y. Yeh, M. S. Fan, J. D. Peng, K. C. Ho, Y. N. Liu, H. Y. Lee, C. Yu Chen, H. W. Lin, C. T. Yen, Y. C. Huang, C. S. Tsao, Y. C. Ting, T. C. Wei, and C. G. Wu, “Performance Characterization of Dye-Sensitized Photovoltaics under Indoor Lighting,” J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 8, 1824-1830 (2017).
- K. W. Cheng, H. J. Jhang, C. T. Li, and K. C. Ho, “Solution-Growth-Synthesized Cu(InGa)Se2 Nanoparticles in Ethanol Bath for the Applications of Dye-Sensitized Solar Cell and Photochemical Reaction,” J. Taiwan Inst. Chem. Eng., 74, 136–145 (2017).
- C. P. Lee, C. A. Lin, C. T. Li, K. C. Ho, C. I. Wu, S. P. Lau, and J. H. He, “A Paper-based Electrode using a Graphene Dot/PEDOT:PSS Composite for Flexible Solar Cells,” Nano Energy, 36, 260–267 (2017).
- C. T. Li, C. P. Lee, I. T. Chiu, R. Vittal, Y. J. Huang, T. Y. Chen, H. W. Pong, J. T. Lin, and K. C. Ho, “Highly Efficient TiO1.1Se0.9-Wrapped Carbon Cloth as the TCO-Free and Pt-Free Counter Electrode for Iodide-Based and Cobalt-Based Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells,” J. Mater. Chem. A, 5, 14079–14091 (2017).
- M. S. Fan, C. P. Lee, R. Vittal, and K. C. Ho, “A Novel Ionic Liquid with Stable Radical as the Electrolyte for Hybrid Type Electrochromic Devices,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 166, 61–68 (2017).
- K. Stalindurai, A. Karuppasamy, J. D. Peng, K. C. Ho, and C. Ramalingan, “Azafluorene Ornamented Thiazine Based Novel Fused Heterocyclic Organic Dyes for Competent Molecular Photovoltaics,” Electrochim. Acta, 246, 1052–1064 (2017).
- T. J. Li, M. H. Yeh, C. Y. Hsieh, S. C. Lo, Y. S. Li, G. L. Chen, T. C. Tien, S. J. Huang, Y. A. Leu, J. J. Lin, W. H. Chiang, and K. C. Ho, “Boron-Doped Carbon Nanotubes with Uniform Boron Doping and Tunable Dopant Functionalities as a Metal-Free Efficient Electrocatalyst for Dopamine Sensing,” Sensors & Actuators: B. Chemical, 248, 288–297 (2017). (工合著)
- L. M. Huang, C. Y. Peng, C. W. Hu, H. C. Lu, C. H. Chen, D. J. Yang, C. C. Kuo, and K. C. Ho, “Spectroelectrochemical and Adhesion Properties of Chemically Synthesized Ion Conducting Poly(vinyl butyral) in Prussian Blue and Poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) Laminated Electrochromic Glazing,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 171, 258–266 (2017).
- Y. Ezhumalai, B. Lee, M. S. Fan, B. Harutyunyan, K. Prabakaran, C. P. Lee, S. H. Chang, J. S. Ni, S. Vegiraju, P. Priyanka, Y. W. Wu, C. W. Liu, S. L. Yau, J. T. Lin, C. G. Wu, M. J. Bedzyk, R. P. H. Chang, M. C. Chen, K. C. Ho, and T. J. Marks, “Metal-free Branched Alkyl tetrathienoacene (TTAR)-based Sensitizers for High-performance Dye-sensitized Solar Cells,” J. Mater. Chem. A, 5, 12310–12321 (2017).
- C. P. Lee, C. T. Li, and K. C. Ho, “Use of Organic Materials in Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells” Materials Today, 20, 267–283 (2017).
- J. E. Chen, M. S. Fan, Y. L. Chen, Y. H. Deng, J. H. Kim, Y. Yamauchi, K. C. Ho, and K. C.-W. Wu, “Prussian Blue-Derived Synthesis of Hollow Porous Iron Pyrite Nanoparticles as Platinum-Free Counter Electrodes for Highly Efficient Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells,” Chemistry – A European Journal, 23, 13284–13288 (2017). (Featured on the outside front cover page and highlighted in the website of ChemistryView). (工合著)
- R. Vittal and K. C. Ho, “Zinc Oxide Based Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells: A Review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 70, 920–935 (2017).
- Y. J. Huang, C. P. Lee, H. W. Pang, C. T. Li, M. S. Fan, R. Vittal, and K. C. Ho, “Microemulsion-Controlled Synthesis of CoSe2/CoSeO3 Composite Crystals for Electrocatalysis in Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells,” Mater. Today Energy, 6, 189–197 (2017).
- T. H. Chang, H. C. Lu, M. H. Lee, S. Y. Kao, and K. C. Ho, “Multi-Color Electrochromic Devices Based on Phenyl and Heptyl Viologens Immobilized with UV-Cured Polymer Electrolyte,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells (doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2017.05.004).
- H. F. Yu, S. Y. Kao, H. C. Lu, Y. F. Lin, H. Feng, H. W. Pang, R. Vittal, J. J. Lin, and K. C. Ho, “Electrospun Nanofibers Composed of Poly(vinylidene fluoride-co-hexafluoropropylene) and Poly(oxyethylene)-imide Imidazolium Tetrafluoroborate as Electrolytes for Solid-State Electrochromic Devices,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells (doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2017.06.033). (工合著)
- T. Y. Huang, C. W. Kung, Y. T. Liao, S. Y. Kao, M. S. Cheng, T. H. Chang, J. Henzie, Y. Yamauchi, K. C. Ho, and K. C.-W. Wu, “Enhanced Charge Collection in MOF-525-PEDOT Nanotube Composite Enable Highly Sensitive Biosensing,” Advanced Science (DOI: 10.1002/advs.201700261). (Featured on the outside front cover page). (工合著)
- T. H. Chang, M. H. Lee, R. R. Salunkhe, C. Young, Md. Shahriar, A. Hossain, K. C.-W. Wu, Y. Yamauchi, and K. C. Ho, “MOF-525 Derived Nanoporous Carbons for Supercapacitor Application,” Chemistry – An Asian Journal (accepted). (工合著)
- M. H. Yeh, Y. A. Leu, W. H. Chiang, Y. S. Li, G. L. Chen, T. J. Li, L. Y. Chang, L. Y. Lin, J. J. Lin, and K. C. Ho, “Boron-doped Carbon Nanotubes as Metal-free Electrocatalyst for Dye-sensitized Solar Cells: Heteroatom Doping Level Effect on Tri-iodide Reduction Reaction,” J. Power Sources (accepted). (工合著)