- Education Background
B.S. Ch.E. National Cheng Kung University 1978
M.S. Ch.E. National Cheng Kung University 1980
Ph.D. Ch.E. University of Rochester 1986
- Research Topic
Electrochromic Materials and Devices
Electrochromic devices (ECDs) offer continuous and reversible visible change in optical absorption in response to the applied voltage. We are working on the synthesis and design of various electrochromic materials and devices. We aim to utilize materials science, electrochemistry, and nano thin-film technology in order to improve the performance and long-term stability of ECDs.
Dye-Sensitized Solar Cell (DSSC)
A dye-sensitized solar cell (DSSC) consists of a photoanode adsorbed with a photosensitizing dye, a redox electrolyte, and a counter electrode. We are working on the design of novel electrode materials and solid-state electrolyte to improve the cell efficiency and stability of DSSCs.
Electrochemical Sensing and Nanotechnology
We design the modified electrodes of various nanostructural materials, such as metal oxides and conducting polymers, and apply them for electrochemical sensors. The sensing performance can be improved via the high surface area feature and unique electron transport properties of nanomaterials.
- Recent Research Topic
1.On the High Conversion Efficiency of Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells Containing Gel Electrolytes (3/3) 研發含膠態電解質之高效率染料敏化太陽能電池 (3/3) Kuo-Chuan Ho, sponsored by National Science Council, NSC98-2120-M-002-003, NT$ 1,519,700, 8/1/2009-7/31/2010
2.A Study of Glucose Sensing Chips in Microfluidic Channels using Enzyme-Immobilization 利用酵素固定法研究微流道葡萄糖感測晶片 Kuo-Chuan Ho, sponsored by National Science Council, NSC98-2221-E-002-102, NT$ 1,513,000, 8/1/2009-7/31/2010
3.Advanced Processes for Materials in High Efficient Electrochemical Devices 高功能電化學元件材料之先進製程 Kuo-Chuan Ho, sponsored by National Taiwan University, 98R0066-09, NT$ 1,400,000, 8/1/2009-7/31/2010
- Honorary Scientific Committee, The International Conference on Advanced Batteries and Accumulators, Brno, Czech Republic (2001-present).
- International Advisory Editorial Board, Sensors (2002-present).
- Editorial Board, Analytical & Bioanalytical Electrochemistry (2008-present).
- Editorial Board, Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications (2009-present).
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Photoenergy (2009-present).
- Outstanding Research Award, The Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) of Taiwan (2017).
- The Excellent Poster Award (to Miss Miao-Syuan Miao, 范妙璇同學), in recognition of an excellent poster presented at the Global Photovoltaic Conference (GPVC) & The 8th Aseanian Conference on Dye-Sensitized & Organic Solar Cells (DSC-OPV8), Busan, Korea, November 23-26 (2013).
- The Young Scientist Award (to Mr. Chung-Wei Kung, 龔仲偉同學), in recognition of an outstanding paper contributed to Symposium L “Chromogenic Materials and Devices” at the E-MRS 2014 Spring Meeting, Lille, France, May 26-30 (2014).
- The Young Scientist Award (to Mr. Jia-De Pong, 彭嘉德同學), in recognition of an outstanding paper contributed to Symposium Y “Advanced Materials and Characterization Techniques for Solar Cells II” at the E-MRS 2014 Spring Meeting, Lille, France, May 26-30 (2014).
- 財團法人徐有庠先生紀念基金會「第12屆有科技庠講座」(綠色科技類) (2014).
- 指導林燁雍同學榮獲科林博士論文優等獎 (2014)
- 指導林宜鋒同學榮獲科林碩士論文頭等獎 (2016)
- 指導陳貝瑜、李君婷、李權倍、范妙璇、高聖淵、黃子晏、龔仲偉與張廷祥同學論文榮登著名期刊封面與內頁封面(2015, 2017)
- The Representative Publication Recent 5-years Publication
- F. S. Lin, M. Sakthivel, M. S. Fan, J. J. Lin, R. J. Jeng, and K. C. Ho, “A novel multifunctional polymer ionic liquid as an additive in iodide electrolyte combined with silver mirror coating counter electrodes for quasi-solid-state dye-sensitized solar cells”, J. Mater. Chem. A, 9, 4907–4921, 2021(Jan), (SCI,EI), (工合著)
- C. H. Chuang, L. Y. Hsiao, M. H. Yeh, Y. C. Wang, S. C. Chang, L. D. Tsai, and K. C. Ho, “Prussian Blue Analogue-Derived Metal Oxides as Electrocatalysts for Oxygen Evolution Reaction: Tailoring the Molar Ratio of Cobalt to Iron”, ACS Appl. Energy Mater., 3(12), 11752–11762, 2020(Dec), (SCI,EI)
- F. S. Lin, P. Priyanka, M. S. Fan, S. Vegiraju, J. S. Ni, Y. C. Wu, Y. H. Li, G. H. Lee, Y. Ezhumalai, R. J. Jeng, M. C. Chen, and K. C. Ho, “Metal-free efficient dye-sensitized solar cells based on thioalkylated bithiophenyl organic dyes”, J. Mater. Chem. C, 8(43), 15322−15330, 2020(Aug), (SCI,EI)
- M. Sakthivel, S. Ramki, S. M. Chen, and K. C. Ho, “Cobalt-tungsten diselenide-supported nickel foam as a battery-type positive electrode for an asymmetric supercapacitor device: comparison with various MWSe2 (M = Ni, Cu, Zn, and Mn) on the structural and capacitance characteristics”, Nanoscale, 12(40), 15752−15766, 2020(Jun), (SCI,EI)
- J. D. Peng, Y. T. Wu, M. H. Yeh, F. Y. Kuo, R. Vittal, and K. C. Ho, “Transparent Cobalt Selenide/Graphene Counter Electrode for Efficient Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells with Co2+/3+-Based Redox Couple”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 12, 44597−44607, 2020(Sep), (SCI,EI)
- W. Budiawan, K. W. Lai, P. Karuppuswamy, T. S. Jadhav, Y. A. Lu, K. C. Ho, P. C. Wang, C. C. Chang, and C. W. Chu, “Asymmetric Benzotrithiophene-Based Hole Transporting Materials Provide High-Efficiency Perovskite Solar Cells”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 12, 29143−29152, 2020(Jun), (SCI,EI)
- S. Y. Peng, C. H. Su, M. Higuchi, K. C. Ho, and Y. C. Liao, “Flexible rewritable electrochromic device with handwriting feature”, Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells, 217, 110738, 2020(Nov), (SCI,EI)
- Y. C. Lin, C. H. Chuang, L. Y. Hsiao, M. H. Yeh, and K. C. Ho, “Oxygen Plasma Activation of Carbon Nanotubes-Interconnected Prussian Blue Analogue for Oxygen Evolution Reaction”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 12(38), 42634-42643, 2020(Aug), (SCI,EI), (Featured on supplementary of journal cover)
- W. N. Wu, H. F. Yu, M. H. Yeh, and K. C. Ho, “Incorporating electrospun nanofibers of TEMPO-grafted PVDF-HFP polymer matrix in viologen-based electrochromic devices”, Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells, 208, 110375, 2020(May), (SCI,EI)
- H. T. Chen, Y. J. Huang, C. T. Li, C. P. Lee, J. T. Lin, and K. C. Ho, “Boron Nitride/Sulfonated Polythiophene Composite Electrocatalyst as the TCO and Pt-Free Counter Electrode for Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells: 21% at Dim Light”, ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng., 8(13), 5251–5259, 2020(Mar), (SCI,EI)
- Y. Ezhumalai, F. S. Lin, M. S. Fan, K. Prabakaran, J. S. Ni, Y. C. Wu, G. H. Lee, M. C. Chen, and K. C. Ho, “Thioalkyl-Functionalized Bithiophene (SBT)-Based Organic Sensitizers for High-Performance Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 12(13), 15071–15079, 2020(Mar), (SCI,EI)
- Y. C. Chang, C. A. Tseng, C. P. Lee, S. B. Ann, Y. J. Huang, K. C. Ho, and Y. T. Chen, “N- and S-codoped graphene hollow nanoballs as an efficient Pt-free electrocatalyst for dye-sensitized solar cells”, J. Power Sources, 449(15), 227470, 2020(Feb), (SCI,EI)
- Y. Y. Kuo, C. C. Huang, W. T. Chen, T. H. Chang, H. C. Lu, K. C. Ho, and C. Y. Chao, “Widely color-temperature low-luminosity-loss electrochromic-tuned white light-emitting diodes”, Optik, 203, 163994, 2020(Feb), (SCI,EI)
- S. Ramaraj, M. Sakthivel, S. M. Chen, and K. C. Ho, “Correction to Active-Site-Rich 1T-Phase CoMoSe2 Integrated Graphene Oxide Nanocomposite as an Efficient Electrocatalyst for Electrochemical Sensor and Energy Storage Applications”, Anal. Chem., 92(2), 2347−2348, 2020(Jan), (SCI,EI)
- V. Rajagopal, M. Kathiresan, P. Manivel, V. Suryanarayanan, D. Velayutham, and K. C. Ho, “Porous organic polymer derived metal-free carbon composite as an electrocatalyst for CO2 reduction and water splitting”, J. Taiwan Inst. Chem. Eng., 106, 183-190, 2020(Jan), (SCI,EI)
- Y. J. Huang, H. T. Chen, S. B. Ann, C. T. Li, J. T. Lin, C. P. Lee and K. C. Ho, “Hierarchical Urchin-like CoSe2/CoSeO3 Electro-catalysts for Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells: Up to 19% at Dim Light Illumination”, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 7(45), 26089-26097, 2019(Oct), (SCI,EI), (Featured on the outside front cover page)
- C. I. Chen, S. F. Wu, Y. A. Lu, C. C. Lee, K. C. Ho, Z. L. Zhu, W. C. Chen and C. C. Chueh, “Enhanced Near-Infrared Photoresponse of Inverted Perovskite Solar Cells Through Rational Design of Bulk-Heterojunction Electron-Transporting Layers”, Advanced Science, 6(21), 2019(Nov), (SCI,EI)
- L. Y. Hsiao, T. H. Chang, H. C. Lu, Y. C. Wang, Y. A. Lu, K. C. Ho and M. Higuchi, “A panchromatic electrochromic device composed of Ru(II)/Fe(II)-based heterometallo-supramolecular polymer”, Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 7(25), 7554-7562, 2019(Jul), (SCI,EI), (Featured on the inside back cover page)
- C. W. Hu, H. C. Lu, S. Y. Kao, K. M. Lee, R. Vittal, H. F. Yu, P. W. Chen, D. J. Jan and K. C. Ho, “A transparent – green – blue electrochromic device based on 2, 2, 6, 6-tetramethyl-1-piperidinyloxy (TEMPO), polyaniline, and HV(BF4)2″, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 200, 109993, 2019(Sep), (SCI,EI)
- Y. J. Huang, Y. J. Lin, H. J. Chien, Y. F. Lin and K. C. Ho, “A Pt-free pristine monolithic carbon aerogel counter electrode for dye-sensitized solar cells: up to 20% under dim light illumination”, Nanoscale, 11(26), 12507-12516, 2019(Jul), (SCI,EI), (Featured on the outside front cover page)